Monday, April 11, 2011

Second Queries

I'm no longer suffering from the neurotic fantasy of a sophisticated literary agent bitchily rejecting me. But before you congratulate me for conquering my fear of caustic mocking, you should know that I've merely replaced one neurotic fantasy for another. Hector Rejector is taking a whole different form now.

I just put together a submission for a literary agency that was quite specific about their requirements for submission. I appreciate their detail about how to submit.

So, why, with their kind specificity, have I decided that these literary agents are not thin and sophisticated? Oh, I don't know. They might be. But as part of this submission, I had to put my first three chapters behind my query letter which meant, of course, that I re-read my first three chapters and fiddled and teased what was there, which means, of course, I've decided it's just terrible.

This is what you do when you write. It's a universal thing, I'm pretty sure. Everything you wrote is shit. Sure, I imagine there's some writer somewhere who reads what they've written again and again and, every time, claps hands delightedly saying out loud "oh, that's good!" But that writer is probably George Will and I think he's a total asshole.

So, since what I've decided that what I submitted is shit, I no longer require a thin, sophisticated and spectacularly bitchy literary editor to reject me. Now, she can be maternal, kind and good-natured. This literary agent probably wears cardigans and has a dog and makes pleasant chit chat with check out people in grocery stores. She'll read my first three chapters and think, "Oh, well, bless her heart. She tried, the dear thing."

And then she'll reject me.

Remind me again, why do I want to be a writer?

2 comments:

  1. I think you can't help but be a writer. Everyone's creative and you've tapped into yours and are mining it which is a very moral thing to do, as in you're using your talents and now it's time to find an audience. No one can create in a vacuum. You have to be with writers, readers, audience, and, then, back in that room with the door closed with just yourself, including the evil self which despises your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn'tya love an endless eternity
    of aplomBOMBs falling on thy
    indelible cranium, inside N around2?
    An XtraXcitinXpose with no
    zooillogical eXpiration date?
    An IQ much higher than K2?
    An extraordinarily antiestablishment
    victory with both sardonic,
    satirical wit Who's ultra-savvy N
    avant-garde-humility?

    Step RITE this Way, please...

    Whether U obtain morality4mortality to
    wiseabove or just glean tantalizing
    specimens 4 thy next, best seller...
    yes, yes, I do realize my penname is
    quite morbid, yet, you shall find on our
    22ish blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
    which has taken this sinFULL mortal
    yeeers to accumulate N compile. Whew.
    Literally yeeeeeeeeers.
    Yeeeeers upon yeeeeers.
    Nevertheless, my just N fair liege,
    I lay it all out for you, dear,
    with onomatopoeia, All-Star-Oxygems...

    I looove to giveth unto thee ideas -
    thots you never thot of:
    the picturesque protagonist,
    par excellence, the non-perishables,
    the luxurious ditzy-glitz, generous, undiluted expansion of the bizarre.
    Yes, dear, the epic endorphins -
    an open door2an onomatopoeia vernacular,
    a high-flying, barnstormin summersaults,
    toxic firewurks from yeee-haw KS
    taking YOU in a completely new direction
    than where you had originally planned!!
    O! the mind doth boggle, lil one!!

    Q: Why else does a moth fly from the night to a bold, attractive candle Light?
    A: Dont let His extravagant
    brilliance be extinguished, earthling.
    You're creative, yes?
    Then, fly-away with U.S. to the antidote.

    ReplyDelete